Sunday 1 April 2012

Renaissance Voyager IPA

I have to say I was a bit suspicious about this one even as I bought it.

With a bottle that looks like it belongs in either an apothecary or a chartreuse collection, the bottle text revolves around it being a classic British IPA using fuggles and some NZ hops. Hmm. I'm aware IPAs were indirectly invented by the Brits, but all the better efforts these days are distinctly not of the UK persuasion.

The head's pretty aggressive when poured and this comes through in the mouthfeel. Not a lot, then harsh carbonation,  then slight grassy / barley hops, then unpleasant sourness. The flavour gets a bit better as it warms slightly, hints of biscuit and earthiness, but even then it's highly unimpressive and unsatisfying.

I hope this isn't really some sort of renaissance as the beer itself is a clear step back. 3.5

No comments:

Post a Comment