Wednesday 22 February 2012

Mad Brewers' Hoppy Hefe

After looking down the row of taps at this place and asking in vain for a porter, I ended up with the hoppy hefe brewed by Squires basically under a different name.


Bar staff said "it's 7% .. is that ok?" .. I almost laughed.

Hefeweizen is typically an unfiltered wheatbear with an often banana dominated flavour. This came out quite dark though oddly. Very little aroma either.

There's just a hint of banana in this one too but it's buried under sour citrus and possibly the insane carbonation also. I'm not sure where the hops were supposed to be. Not a lot of character throughout in fact.. just a kind of oddly placed bitterness. Can't think this is what the brewers were aiming for? I feel ripped off more than anything.

I didn't really get on with this beer at all. Sounds harsh but I can't think when I'd choose it again. 2.5

No comments:

Post a Comment