Wednesday 22 February 2012

4 Pines Stout

The first venture into 4 Pines, from whom I'd seen a bit but never tried.



This claims on the neck to be the world's first space beer - but as a marketing initiative it had pretty much the opposite effect on me at least. I almost didn't buy it due to this wankery - while I'm all for martian beer, what I want to buy myself personally is something that is bloody good down here on Urth.

Having said all that I'm very glad I did get this in the end - it's a dark chocolate based stout - sits heavy in the glass, sports a deep black hue, minor low head from the start, soon dissipates. Maybe the aeration & head are something to do with the space initiative? Wasn't a problem on our planet though, just made it easier to drink.

Burnt smoky flavour develops through the mouthful. Mostly cocoa flavours apart from that.

---

Edit: tried this once more and bumped it down a bit, perhaps a bit overenthused the first time around due to it coming after a swathe of shit other beers. It's good but sort of lacking roundness (doesn't really develop as such like a good stout, bit too carbonated / light in terms of mouthfeel, bit waxy in terms of taste? 7.0

1 comment:

  1. validated 8/3/12
    pretty bleeding tasty after a few other beers but kind of artificially waxy
    certainly a good stout
    certainly not a great stout
    looking forward to others' opinion on this?
    7.0

    ReplyDelete