Monday 30 July 2012

Mountain Goat Red Saison

So, another first in a supposedly 'red' saison.

Phone based photos in low light conditions do a better job of pizza than beer, but this shot has certainly captured the depth of dark colour in this beer. It's beyond red really, pushing a dark molasses sort of colour.

Interesting beer to experience here - I don't think I'd have picked it as a saison in a blind tasting. The yeast character is certainly there and it's funky on the nose, but the ongoing spice and orange rind character to me puts it as more of a witbier. I'm not sure how this beer was crafted but I get strong lingering aniseed going on here which is interesting .. but not perhaps the best compliment to the standard wit or saison experience.

I like experiments like this and want to encourage further pushing of boundaries in the future - this beer as it stands though was not bad, but a bit of a struggle. 5.0

No comments:

Post a Comment