Friday 27 January 2012

Brasserie du Mont Blanc - La Blonde

At the end of my year long French sojourn in the small alps town of Aix-les-Bains, I came across a small boutique beer shop that had eluded me for my entire stay. Kicking myself for not finding it earlier, I vowed I would return one day to sample its wares. That day is today.

I picked up a variety of local French beers by Brasserie du Mont Blanc who seem to have achieved a degree of success at various awards. The first beer I'll review, La Blonde, won a silver medal in the 2011 French Agriculture Awards that review wines, beers and foods annually.

La Blonde comes with a weak head that disappears rapidly but is not an indicator of a flat beer. On the contrary, it displayed a fantastic degree of carbonation all the way to the end of the beer. Easy on the nose with a light floral smell and a nice light amber colour.

Tastewise, a pleasant bitterness at first fades gradually into a light floral aftertaste that lingers in a good way. La Blonde claims to have citrus flavours but appeared to me to have a more floral and honey taste to me.

The real kicker for this beer though is the quality of the water. Having their water come directly from the glaciers of Mont Blanc is a huge winner and really makes this beer go down extremely well. I wish I had more time to track it down on tap. Worth it if you find it!

No comments:

Post a Comment