Sunday 22 January 2012

Baird Brewing Angry Boy Brown Ale

And so we came to the first of our four beers from Baird Brewing Company, all the way from Shizuoka.


The bottle art on these beers is off the hook.. top work indeed. Though my overall expectations weren't that high given pretty mixed past experience with both Japanese beers, and with brown ales.

The Japanese description on the bottle suggested this beer was 'hiding an angry edge' and that it was best for days when you were a little angry yourself. We certainly found the nose on it made us a bit angry.. not the best entry to a beer. Head also dissipated quite quickly though this is perhaps permissable given the distance travelled to get to us.

The beer itself however was convivial if anything. I didn't feel enraged in the slightest by anything other than the misleading packaging. In fact, the conversation I had with this drop encouraged me to relax, think a moment, breath, count to 10, and not sweat the small stuff. I felt calmed. Quite a mellow characteristic throughout, tailing to a buttered toast like finish. No caramel / toffee here: pleasing.

It's a one-note sort of beer but pleasant enough to deserve a 7.0 and my interest to try it again as the best brown ale I've had to date (this is a limited field). Nic called a 6.0 and a reasonably auspicious start to Baird.

No comments:

Post a Comment