Thursday 27 September 2012

Doctors Orders Prescription #12 Belgian Black IPA

A new brewer in Sydney!

I don't know a lot about these guys, but their black IPA turns up on the money looks-wise. Which reminds me - Wheatsheaf hotel - I know you're hand-washing / cleaning glasses and these goblet ones are probably slightly harder / more expensive to do. But rather than make people choose between a straight middy / pot / whatever you call it and this "Fancy" for 20c more and exactly the same ml, how about you either absorb the cost, or restrict certain beers to fancy only, and put each beer in the best glass to present it. The 20c doesn't worry me but if you're a serious beer bar, suitable glassware is one of the easier things to do to help present craft in the best possible light.

Rant over - the last Belgian Black IPA I had was delicious, so I was looking forward to this. It has a nice roasty hop nose melded with tea-like barley, but the Belgian yeast is a bit banana-dominant to me in the flavour palate and really rolls all over the gentle roastiness in the palate. You end up with a beer that's primarily choc-banana, with a bit of bitter grass roast in the back seat.

It's kind of a little clumsy and spiky in all elements, not as smooth as it could be - but certainly on the right track. 5.5

No comments:

Post a Comment