Wednesday 30 May 2012

Mornington Imperial IPA

Sometimes you can just tell when a beer will be good.

Something about the way it opens. The pour, with its crisp yet smooth fidelity. And that lovely brooding colour in the glass.

And having initially got this far in the review from memory only to find I have lost my notes, it is with great pleasure I discover I have another one of these waiting serendipitously in the fridge.

Right then.

Slight sediment in the pour but settles nicely, mid visible aeration from the outside. Up front nose of juicy, fruity hops and a backing underscore of mild biscuit and caramel disguises the 8.5% payload. Palate is good, flavours of juicy citrus, pine, bit of sweetness and then rising, lingering bitterness. I've heard this beer called unbalanced but I like the way it leaves you smacking your lips with a big slippery kick of bitter hops at the end - this is an IIPA after all and they have a perfectly accomplished IPA for regular consumption if you like, so go hard or go home as far as I'm concerned.

'This, my friends, is a beer for the winter time', I want to proclaim, but in all honesty I think I'd be pretty pleased with this one all year round. Here's hoping it becomes a regular fixture in the Mornington rotation. 8.0

No comments:

Post a Comment